Thursday, August 21, 2008

that really is quite a grand canyon!


Wow, the Grand Canyon was well worth the trip. I can't believe in retrospect that we were thinking of skipping it. It literally takes your breath away. I asked Herb last night what his favorite National Park is so far. It's tough. I think Glacier might be my favorite but the Grand Canyon is really a wonder of the world. After leaving our little bordello yesterday (see pic), we drove about and hour and half to the Gr Can. We jumped out of the car as soon as we got there to get our first look. Wow!!!! It also wasn't nearly as annoyingly crowded as I had expected. There were a lot of people there but it is a big canyon and there was room enough for everyone. We walked the rim for a little while and took about a 45 minute hike down and up. Coming up wasn't as bad as I had expected. Of course, we didn't go down too far. Also, we got to trade in our credit for admissions to other National Parks and get an annual "park pass". Yea!!!! We used it later in the day when we went to Petrified Forrest National Park and got in for free. That is another wacky place. At first it didn't seem like much more than desert. But when you got out and walked around, all the trees were literally turned to stone and crystalized. It produced the most sparkly and vibrant colors, especially since we were there at sunset.

We didn't arrive at our final destination until almost nine and we were famished from our hikes (even though they were small). We stayed last night at the El Rancho Historic Hotel. It is the pinnacle of kitch, a Route 66 hotel that has housed many movie stars. It was opened in 1937. As you can see from the picture, it is all neon and is visibile from the road. The rooms are a little rugged but the lobby (where I am currently blogging from) is quite charming-old wooden railings, pictures of stars and of course animal heads.

The west, specifically Arizona, has a beauty that I've never seen before. The earth is mostly red, which is the strangest part. And there is painted desert everywhere. The sky is vast and blue with a few scattered clouds. It is quiet and peaceful. And there are always lone freight trains rumbling by. I have been trying so hard to get a good train picture but it's usually out the car window. Maybe I'll post what I have tomorrow.

We are going to Taos today by way of Santa Fe. We are going to try to find somewhere good to have lunch.

This trip has expanded my mind in ways I can't even appreciate. I really feel like I have finally seen my country and am beginning to understand how vast it is. Herb and I are having the best time ever!!!!!


No comments: